Monday, February 7, 2011

project 365 - day 38


time for some monday-morning quarterbacking as i grieve the close of yet another football season. last night before going to bed we were watching a few minutes of the cheeseheads' post-game celebration and wondering just how much confetti needs to fall. i mean seriously y'all, did anyone else catch that?

i stopped working on my laptap for a moment and turned my full attention to the t.v. as soon as i heard, "to God be the glory." being interviewed by pam oliver, greg jennings stood there, with an obnoxious amount of confetti falling around him and he said,

"we've been a team that's overcome adversity all year. our head captain goes down, emotional in the locker room. our no. 1 receiver goes down, more emotions are going...flying in the locker room. but we find a way to bottle it up and exert it all out here on the field."

and then, again, he repeats himself so everyone hears,

"to God be the glory."

this statement got me thinking. in the biggest wins of our lives, how many times do we give God the credit in our victories? last week i shared with you about how i gave myself the credit for overcoming an eating disorder. it took me awhile to acknowledge it, but it was truly God and his grace that helped me overcome it.

today i am thankful for a talented and humble football player who gives credit where credit's due and reminds me to do the same. when everyone in the world is pushing the agenda of "me, me, me" and self-promotion has become the norm, it's nice to see humlity is a trait an nfl player can still possess.

you don't think God has time to care about football? i disagree. i believe God cares about what we care about.

i'm sure greg jennings was also praying to win the game.

apparently his prayers were louder than mine. ;-)

(sorry to my packer family/friends out there...but i had pledged allegiance to the steelers early in the season when it was clear my 'boys weren't going to make a superbowl run.)

No comments: