Saturday, January 15, 2011

project 365 - day 15

thankful for clean

today was house cleaning day. and it wasn't just my skimming once-over weekly cleaning. it was the kind of deep cleaning i do 3-4 times a year. and the best thing ever...my hubby offered to help me do it! we got into all of the nooks and crannies and sent the dust bunnies to live in a landfill somewhere in maryland. i'm not sure they'll like their new home, but i'm certainly going to enjoy them not living in my house!

i love the smell of outdoor fresh scented pledge, mr. clean, and chlorox clean-up. i could smell these smells all day and just smile. i know; i am just a weird clean person. for the most part things always appear to be clean and in order if you visit our home. but my weekly cleanings don't allow me to achieve a really deep clean and it's these cleanings that i love. it took us just about 5 hours but my house is now super-clean. i even washed the doors...who knew doors could get so dirty? i don't even have toddlers with dirty hands touching them yet.

i'm thankful for a clean house but as i was cleaning i started thinking about how unclean my heart was. i asked God to examine me and show me where i needed to come clean. he brought a few things to mind and i confessed them right then and there. one of which was the lack of quality time i've given to God over the last week or so. i have found myself skimming over a verse, thinking about it for a few minutes and moving on with my day. on a few of these days, i didn't even make time to open my bible. if you looked at my life on the outside, everything probably appeared to be clean. but i knew there were a bunch of cobwebs hanging around. so for almost 5 hours today i just talked to God. i told Him about some areas i have been struggling with and find myself anxious, and i confessed sometimes (ok, a lot) i just take on a situation expecting to control the outcome as i see fit.

it felt good to clean my house today. but a deep cleaning of my heart made me realize what clean is really supposed to feel like. is there anything today in your heart that needs a deep cleaning?

Proverbs 28:13
Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.

No comments: