Wednesday, September 22, 2010

sugar from the lips

the tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. proverbs 18:21 (niv)

he who guards his lips guards his life but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. proverbs 12:3 (niv)

when words are many sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. proverbs 10:19 (niv)


wowsers. these verses have always scared me, just a little. ok, A LOT! i am not a theology student or expert but i'm pretty sure it says that we can speak life or death in just a matter of a word. all of the sermons i have heard about this subject matter, speak of the great, and sometimes detrimental power of the tongue.


my hubby is a man of few words. as my friend laura once said about hers truly..."he doesn't think you should get paid by the number of words you speak!"

i used to think this was absurd! and probably, if i'm being honest, it's been one of the biggest struggles in our marriage. i have lots to say and wouldn't you know, God gave me a man who is practically mute. (j/k honey!)


"honey, but i just need to know, how do you FEEL about this?? please express it in words!"


i'm backtracking a little in my viewpoint that what you feel is what you always need to speak. ok, i'm backtracking from this philosophy a lot.

the more i read and study about the power of the tongue, the more i know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my tongue has and will continue to get me in trouble. a lot of trouble.

this week i tried a different approach...


the westin heavenly bed people finally called me after 2 weeks, to follow up on our drama of our bed delivery. the nice, and they really were, men (who delivered the bed that ultimately will be replaced with a new one because this one's boxspring was ripped), inadvertently drug the box springs from my front door to the master bedroom leaving a LONG, somewhat deep scratch in our hardwood floors.)

i was certainly upset that i hadn't heard from anyone in 2 weeks. but i decided to try a different approach. sugar was practically pouring from my lips, when i let her know that i was disappointed in what happened and the lack of follow up. as i was speaking, i couldn't believe my ears.


saying it nicely, got me amazing results.


i used to think i needed to light a fire under people's you-know-what to get them going, motivated, and passionate towards my irrational causes.

not so much. later that day i had 3 missed calls and 1 voicemail from a manager. sugar poured from her lips too and she was super-apologetic.


WIN-WIN!


the point i'm trying to make here is not that i want to write about how great i am or give myself kiddos on my sugar-speak...

the point is that i tried a different approach.

i realized that my rash speak can bring my ruin (prov 12:3).

as my photography professor would say, "look at the shot from a different angle and see what you get."

of course i wasn't batting .400+ the rest of the day. i left the house and a lady completely cut me off. i refrained from the sign language i once gave in this situation, but a 4-letter word somehow slipped out.


thankfully sin is sin, forgiveness is forgiveness, and grace is grace.

what do you need to look at from a different angle in your life today?

postscript:
and for my friends following my barf-orange-jersey-wearing drama this week, i'm 100 PERCENT SURE that taming the tongue DOES NOT apply when speaking of the TEXAS LONGHORNS. (however there may be unfair consequences to suffer.)

"i will cut off all the horns of the wicked but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up!" psalm 75:10.

translation: the wicked texas longhorns are going down to the righteous red raiders in austin september 2011. (because there's always, 'next year'!) i'm sure 9 out of 10 theologians would agree with my interpretation of this wonderful passage. that 1 probably got a few F's in seminary.

still hookin' 'em until saturday. this tongue of mine definitely got me in trouble last saturday, and yes, i lost a bet. in this barf orange jersey all week. yuck!

even more poor kid suffers. i know, baby, there is just no good way to dress up barf orange! i'm sorry you have to suffer because of mommy's loose tongue!

now i can't help it if she is going to do a "horns down." i 100% believe in raising a child according to their own personality and to love her for who she is. apparently that's a red raider lover and a longhorn hater. i can't teach this at her age...it's just who she is. :) (clearly it's a horns down, even though a little blurry!)

No comments: